Monday, January 18, 2016

Week #61 - 2016 Jan 18 - "Oh ho ho, it's magic, ya knowww." Jks, it's the Lord!!!

Hey one, hey all! 

We were able to experience miracles this week! I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY. I say that every week I think....but it's TRUEEEEE. 

Alright let's talk! 

On Tuesday, we had roster work at the church planned. So basically there's been a huge push (from the missionaries here) for the roster to be cleaned up..so we've been going through the roster and trying to get all the records where they need to be. Thus! We planned on going to the church and doing that. BUT! Before that, I felt a SUPER strong prompting to go stop by Polly and Deborah. Our investigators from the summer/fall that we lost contact with. So I told Sis Scrib and she was totally on board. And their house is right on the way to church anyway. We get to their house and we don't even have to knock, Polly is just right there and she opens the door. It was so good to see her! She gave me a huge hug and Sis Scrib and her were able to introduce each other. And she told us that we caught her at the right time because she was just getting ready to go out and do some errands for the rest of the day, so she wasn't going to be at home until late that night. (I LOVE THE SPIRIT!!!!) And we found out that her sister Dyna, the one I've talked about before, had passed away a couple weeks beforehand. Polly told us that she thought Deborah had gotten a hold of us to let us know, but she didn't or it didn't go through. So we told we were so sorry that we didn't come sooner and she said it was okay. And then I asked about Deborah and so Polly went to go get her and oh my gosh when she came around the corner I just about burst into tears of joy!!! You know, you don't realize how MUCH you love someone until you haven't seen them for a while and then you finally see them again. Man alive, my heart was SO full!!! We caught up for about 20 minutes. She's doing alright, still going through the grieving process for her son that passed away in September. Which is totally understandable. But she's getting stronger. I've learned that it doesn't get easier with time, you just get stronger. Overall though, they are doing well and they said that they have missed seeing us. I am so happy that we were able to get in contact with them again. We're seeing them again sometime this week and it all works out so perfectly because I was able to introduce Sis Scrib, Deborah, and Polly. So they all know each other now which is good because this is MOST likely my last week here. The Lord has such perfect timing! Who woulda thought?! ;) 

We were able to get quite a few records figured out as well. Which was a tender mercy as well because most people don't reply to us on facebook when we ask about the church and all that. But we had 3 people reply! Which doesn't sound like a lot, but it is!!! That means 3 records can be forwarded to their new place and the missionaries and the ward can start helping them come back :) Super exciting! We definitely still have a TON of work to do, but we're making progress. Slowly but surely. 

Later that night (Tuesday), we went out to contact referrals with the bishop's wife. We had one referral for a woman named Margie and she wanted a Bible. Now I don't know if you remember this or not, but back in the summer we had an investigator named Margie that we had lost contact with as well. So ever since we got that headquarter's referral I've been like, I wonder if that's the same Margie. I mean it was the same address and everything. She had a different last name and a different phone number but the address and her first name were the same. So we drove to her address and got out and I was pretty sure it was her trailer...it looked familiar. But we also went there in the dark and back in the summer we always went there during the day, so I wasn't 100%. So we walk up the steps to her door and then bam, the door swings open before we can even get a knock in and huzzah! HELLLOOOO MARGIE! She's the same Margie!! It was awesome seeing her again too! She seemed very happy to see us and we ended up talking to her for a little over an hour. (That woman can talk...I'm tellin ya....hahaha.) And long story short, she was very grateful that we had contact again and that we stopped by. Later on she called us her angels. THAT touched my heart <3 SO, needless to say she became our investigator again!! LOVE.

On Wednesday we had zone training. So we went to Wilmington. It was really good and I needed to hear every word of it. Afterwards, we went on exchanges again this week (we went last week as well), and I went to Hampstead with Sister Macrum! It was a lot of fun. And I needed to be in Hampstead that night. So many things were said that I needed to hear. Hampstead's Bishop's wife is like the most inspired woman I've met on the mission. Oh my goodness. When I grow up I want to be just like her. Everything that came out of her mouth, even if it wasn't directed towards me, was something that I needed to hear - whether it was something I've been worrying about, something I've been wondering about, or just something I've been thinking about. It was amazing. She was telling us a story about when her and her husband had been married for 10 years. They had been blessed with SO much (I won't go into too much details just because it's personal) but one day she was praying and thanking the Lord for everything that they had been blessed with and loud and clear she heard a voice that said, "You're being blessed because of your husband's obedience on his mission." And then she told us that the Lord loves His missionaries and He does not forget about them. Ever. She said it had been 15 years since her husband returned home from his mission and yet the blessings were still flowing in. She told us that not only you and your family back home are blessed for your service, but your future family will be abundantly blessed as well. It was incredible and the spirit was so strong when she was telling us this and we were all tearing up. I needed to hear that, that night. So exchanges turned out to exactly what I needed. <3

Fast forwarding a little bit to Saturday! It was a GORGEOUS day outside. Like we're talking, mid-70's, sunshine, a warm breeze. All of that. It was such a beautiful day. And it happened in January!! Even better!! Ahh! I love when the weather cooperates. :) Haha anywho. We had tracting planned for that day and obviously the Lord wanted us out on the streets that day because just the day before it was pouring and super windy and cold and I didn't say this out loud, but I thought, man, if it's like this tomorrow....we're doing stop bys...none of this tracting stuff. Haha. Terrible I know hahah but I was just not having it! HOWEVA! We woke up Saturday morning and the sun was shining, birds were chirping, and it was most definitely a tracting day :) So we hit the streets. The first little bit nobody is really too interested. I mean, everyone was being SUPER nice to us and instead of just slamming the door, like usual, they would politely decline and wish us luck and they all told us that they appreciated what we were doing and they told us to stay safe. So I mean, they were all being really kind. That was refreshing. So we keep pressing on and knocking door after door after door. We cross the street and knock on the first door of the street and we hear this lady inside go "WHO IS IT?!" And so we say the sister missionaries! And she asks again so we add "for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" into the mix. And then she asks again so I say it a third time. And then she asks again and I tell Sister Scribner it's her turn hahaha. And then she finally just opens the door haha so I say who we are one more time and she's like OOH! Come in, come in!! Please come in! Annd so Sis Scrib and I look at each other, smile, look at the lady, smile, and we walk in! And oh my goodness, it was amazing!!!! MIRACLES. We went tracting that day for Liz! (That's her name) The Lord made it a beautiful day so we could find Liz :) Now let me tell you a little bit about her. She's the stereo-typical black, older southern baptist woman. And she can talk for dayzzzz. She told us that we were beautiful like 5 times and then she told us that she looked awful like 15 times and then she told us that she would come to our church like 7 times and she then she told us that she was so happy we stopped by like 6 times. It was so funny. But we come in and she's talking about her grandkids and then all of a sudden she cuts herself off and she's like, "are y'all inviting me to go to your church?" And we're like, yeah! Of course we are! And so we give her one of our cards with the church's address and info on it and she's like oh okay. I'll definitely come to your church. And then she was telling us how she's not too happy with her missionary baptist church that she goes to. So then she tells us again that she's coming to our church. Not this week, but next week! And "I'm not gonna look like this. Gosh I look awful. *smooshes poofy hair down* I'm gonna come in and say hi and you're not gonna be able to recognize me! Ugghhh I look so bad today. (Us: No no, you look great!! ---she really did look fine haha she was super cute) Girls, I'm sorry, next time you come I'll look so much better! I'm gonna take a picture of you! *she takes our her cellphone and tries to figure out how to use it* *we don't really know what's going on hahaha so we awkwardly smile...* *CLICK* Oh I think I took a picture...I'm not really sure. Uhh, how do I get to my pictures? ....I think I'm there...maybe? Is that y'all? *we walk over, look at it...it's a picture of us laughing...so we're super blurry and making a ridiculous face* (Us: Oh that's us alright!) Oh good, now I have a picture of you. So when I walk into church, I'll show you this picture and then you'll know it's me. Oh I look so bad today. But I'm going to look good on Sunday! You just wait!" That's how that went hahaha. I had to italicize it so you would know when it was back to the email and not our convo with her hahaha. It was hilarious though. She's such a trip! Oh my goodness I love her so much already! I'm excited to continue working with her! She told us she wants us to come back so she can have Bible studies (that's what she calls the lessons hahaha) with us! It was fantastic! After we left she told us how happy she was that she was able to meet us. And we said the same and gave her big hugs :) These are the moments that make everything worth it on the mission. Amazing, I'm tellin' ya. 
We tracted the rest of the street, but no one was interested. So we really just were sent out to find Liz today. And I couldn't be happier about that! :D 

On Sunday we had a multi stake broadcast. It broadcasted in from Utah and it was only being broadcasted to 14 states. It was the south eastern states broadcast. (how many times can I say broadcast in a sentence....hahaha) It was really good! L. Whitney Clayton, Linda S. Reeves, Ronald A Rasband, and Robert D. Hales spoke! It was great :) 

And that was basically our week in a nutshell!! SUPER SUCCESSFUL! I can honestly say we gave it our all this week and we were blessed immensely. The joy of missionary work is something that cannot be described or explained adequately with only words. It's one of those things that you have to do to experience the joy that is felt. So familia, go out and do some missionary work! You won't regret it. It may seem a little scary, or challenging, but man oh man, it is oh so worth it!! :D And the blessings are unreal...so that's a good bonus ;)

To all you beautiful people that I love so much, I know this church is the Lord's church once again established on the earth today. This church contains the fullness of the gospel and with that, fullness of joy, peace, comfort, hope, and so many other amazing things. Hold onto the rod, walk the straight and narrow path, rely on the Savior, and you'll see miracles. I can promise you that. 

Have a great week and I will talk to y'all next time!! Take care, be safe, always remember to smile, and don't forget that I love you TONS and so does the Lord! :) 

MUCH LOVE,
Sister Blumel
xoxoxo <3


PS - Story behind the subject line - this week felt magical...but it was actually just the Lord working through the Spirit, working through us. Hallelujah! SOO great! :D 


LOVE YOU ALL!!! ❤

Here's me with the Ferrin's! I love them to pieces :)
They're great! One of my favourite families here in J-ville. 

Anddd there's another picture with the Ferrin's and I. I said goodbye to them on 
Sunday because I'm like 99.9999999999999999999999% sure I'm being transferred. 

And here's a selfie because I haven't sent one
 of those home for a while and so there ya go.
Hahaha #awkwardbathroomselfies #alldayeryday

Sister Scribner and I taking awkward bathroom selfies
hahaha.  #storyofmylife.

THE tuxedo cheesecake from the Santorini Grill in Swansboro.
That cake is to die for. Oh my gosh. It's amazing.... <3 <3 <3

Now we were studying one day (I think it was Saturday....) and we hear this huge bang on our window and we were like what the junk? Who was that? Cause it sounded like someone just came up and punched our window. Haha. But anyway, I get curious so I open the door and I see nobody...and then I look down and there's this dead bird. So uhm, a bird dived into our window and died. Uhhhh #thatawkwardmomentwhen. So now you're blessed with a picture of the casualty... 

No comments:

Post a Comment